Monday, September 20, 2010

In memory of my youngest brother...

2:20 pm, 10 Sept 2009:I was chatting happily with my teammates about life in armed forces and how proud we were of my dad and youngest brother.. My manager was thrilled and we were talking about the highs of serving the nation...
Then suddenly Chaitanya(elder brother) called to say that Manu's plane had crashed...
when I asked about Manu, he said 'C'mmon champs.. he was flying a fighter aircraft'...he could speak no more...I just cried in helplessness...we all did

Everything changed..tears, more tears, questions, no answers, strength, memories, tears...

A year has passed... A year without you Manu... but your voice still rings in my ears..
Time is a big healer, some say.. But for me, Time is ruthless... it is severe.. It has no friends..
It was not kind enough to spare that one second to you.. a 'tiny' second in many of our lives... but a big second for you which made the difference between life and death..

I remember our younger happier days (our school days) which we 3 kids would bet as the happiest days ever spent...
Life was a 'bed of roses'... In the comfort and protection of our parents who showered infinite love and made sure we had the best of time...
Mom was a fantastic cook and in our family of 5, all but you were chubby... coz you only ate what you liked and what you liked was rare..
I remember you were a fantastic swimmer who could do 'underwater swimming'... a thought that never occured to me forget about attempting it!
You always looked up to the best of things and tried hard and patiently until you achieved them.... awesome:)
Your powerful car is a testimony to your diligence and patience... you did the market research for the best car that matched your needs, then waited patiently for dad to approve(dad initially thought it was way too expensive and a wastage of resources:).. you had several rounds of discussion which
you handled calmly until dad gave way to your will power..
Now dad drives the car as his most prized possession on road..

And you were good at horse riding.. You were the youngest to go on an outdoor trek...
You even convinced the 'saab ji' that even though your size was small, your ambitions were high...
and you were so determined, that you became an excellent rider and won prizes at NDA too

Size never mattered to you.. infact nothing deterred you from doing anything.. even if everyone discouraged you...
You knew in your heart you are going to do it... and you knew it would be done...
Such was your magic my brother.....

Your honest and soulful laughter was so contagious that it brings a smile to my face everytime I remember it...

You were always so active... and always so interested in doing something...
You were the first among us 3 who cooked a great omlette and later fried sausages, bought out of our pocket money from a nearby meat shop, in the kitchen which we ate happily when mom took her afternoon nap..

As a teenager, you were quite naughty. You didn't like the straight blades of the fan in your classroom as they were normal and boring. So you and your gang decided to bend the blades such that the fan now looked like an inverted flower..So much for creativity..

As you grew, you kept surprising us with all the new things you did... And it all seemed effortless for you..
Like your becoming a fighter pilot... as if you were destined to fly... NDA did a lot of good to you.. shaped you from a boy to a gentleman.. who had nerves of steel but a heart so warm and loving that everyone was touched by it.

As a part of your job, you had to stay away from us most of the time. Despite being the youngest, you were the most responsible. You would call each of us regularly and write letters to us...

You felt so bad when my Rakhi didn't reach you on time last year....
Thankfully it reached soon after and I know it meant a lot to you as I saw it on your table.. even after you left...

Mom is still waiting to see you... she believes that someday she will see you...
And daddy is so emotional....
Chaitanya gives a sad smirk when I mention you... am sure his heart fills up...
I don't know how a year has passed.. every day and every moment you reside in our hearts, prayers... existence
Time is playing its heartless role as I change all the verbs to past tense as I edit this page..

"kahaan se aaya thaa wo, chhooke humaare dil ko... kahaan gaya use dhoondho.."
-- Written by Pragya (Manu's sister)

9 comments:

  1. we re all proud of this young man...who did his duty to the peril of his life.kudos to manu.

    ReplyDelete
  2. speechless......God bless his Soul..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Manu...u'll be terribly missed...always!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Di...Do hold on...May God give your family and you the strength to withstand such a loss...its heart wrenching, really. Do hold on...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fighter Pilots are the bravest of men. They think about others before themselves. I am in love with one of Manu's coursemates and I am reading as much as I can about MIG's and Mirage's because I know that it just takes that one "tiny" second to change everybody's life around a fighter pilot! I have been avoiding thinking of marriage because everybody always had bad things to say about the future, but after reading your blog, I feel strong enough to take a leap of faith. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I felt like crying reading Pragya words, Manu though we spent few years in Army School PKt with you, But you made your place in our hearts, you was not a friend to me but a bro. we all miss you..love u...I got call from one of my friend Asim about your mishapening and he was littly crying..Hope we all met you some day...Miss you Bro ...PARWINDE 9899924971

    ReplyDelete